Find a good location with natural light, like a window, or indirect light outside. If all goes well, I have everything set up and WAIT for the right moment, when my subject is happy. Rushing around setting up can prove to be a missed opportunity. Though, some of our favorite pictures where taken with no preparation, or set up.

Here are some un-cropped pictures to show the process, set up and locations I have used.
Some helpful things I do when shooting young child is to give them something to do. This may be playing a peek-a-boo game, a toy, something to look at, or sit on.
A tripod is necessary when I have no help. Being stuck behind a camera, makes it hard to get the great expression I am looking for. Plus they tend to run away.

Don't force the photo shoot, it never works out. If I let him take a break, I often can get him to return and get some good pictures later. Happiness is key to successful pictures.
And yes, I have to take a ton of pictures to to get a few good ones. Kids squirm, throw the toys, crawl away, and don't always cooperate. Sometime their attention is longer then expected, but often its not. Moods change fast. Flexibility is key to success.
Next time, part 2...Getting the right picture.









1 comment:
Very good tips, thanks.
Post a Comment