Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Deals

One of the things I enjoy, is finding a good deal.

In years past, I have been guilty of being suckered into buying things just because it was on sale, or I had a coupon, only to realize I didn't need it or it really wasn't a great deal.

A few years wiser and some wasted money, I currently have issued myself ground rules.
1. Know prices
Words liquidation, SALE, reduced, or discounted, do not always mean deal. Marketers are excellent at creating the illusion of a good deal, when in the end no money was saved, and sometimes we buy more than we wanted. For example, buy a meal and two drinks, get a free meal, really isn't buy one get one free. All I did was buy 2 drinks full of sugar that I really did not want. Recently, while buying moving supplies I fell victim to buy 2 get one free. I bought 3 packages of packing tape, when I only needed a few rolls. We now have a life time supply.

2. Know and buy only what you need and use. (Some luxury and feel good items are included). Money was not saved if what you bought never leaves the closet. Spending more on an item that you love or is good quality, is money well spent, verses compromising on something that is not quite what is wanted or will not last.

3. Buy groceries on sale, along with a few extras, for when they are not. (Sales combined with a coupon are preferred).
I rarely will buy groceries for full price. Sales combined with coupons often will make name brand items as cheap or cheaper than store brand. Though, it is important to know what store brand items are just as good as name brands.
I have discovered you are able to connect grocery cards, such as Smith's Fresh Values, to coupons. Just go the Smith's site and go to coupons.

Saving money where I can, allows me to spend money on what I really want. The trick is knowing what a good deal looks like, whether its a sale, or worth every penny spent.

4 comments:

jon p said...

18 rolls of packing tape to exact. But I don't mind it's very useful stuff. Almost as good as duct tape.

Jo said...

I hear ya on the packing tape...I went a bit over board on paint tape and we could have done it with 2 rolls not 5, but hey I'm sure we can use them for something...maybe costumes? Thanks for the tips I've been really trying to find better savings out here because food and things are just more expensive all the way around. I also Shop at Smiths when I need a lot of Groceries and gas for the car at the same time...knowing I'll get the discount gas price. It even makes it cheaper than Maveriks price. I try and buy as much as I can bulk at Sams Club that will last and work as some food storage too(these items are things we use all the time).

Harmony said...

Great tips Jer. I've moved enough to know that you can never have enough packing tape. If I need some, I guess I know where to get it now, right? :-) Even if it does end up being a lifetime supply for you, at least it probably won't spoil before you use it all--another thing to consider when trying to save money by buying bulk.

Webb Family said...

You know you are just BEGGING to be the Enrichment Night lady... right? Good luck with that!